Friday, September 14, 2012

(8/19/12) Bathin' in Budapest


After my travels to Paris and Zurich before the start of the program, I found that some countries were more expensive to visit than others. Luckily, Vienna falls in a cheaper category than Paris and Zurich (though, not by much). Budapest, especially in comparison with all of these cities, is really freaking cheap. With a bus fare totaling forty euro round trip and a huge five star hotel room for under 100 euro (comfortably housing six people), I knew this city was going to be different than the other super-touristy, super-expensive countries I had visited. 

Me and a weird picture of a Zebra in our hotel room. Obviously.


When we first arrived to Budapest, I spoke with a very friendly Hungarian man who gave me detailed directions on how to get to our hotel. These directions included use of the underground train system, which I was excited to see. Although I am an avid driver, fulfilling my Californian stereotype by having an intimate relationship with my Kia, I always got excited to see all the different forms of transportation in Europe. Paris’s train system reminded me a lot of Chicago’s train system, Zurich and Vienna seemed to share in the use of efficient, clean street cars/buses, and Budapest reminded me of what I might find in the cities of Russia or other eastern European countries. The train was old, and made noises that had me briefly questioning my choice to visit the Hungarian city. But, of course, my anxiety was unnecessary (as it usually is), as the rickety old train got us safely to our destination. We took in a cheap dinner and enjoyed a little Budapest nightlife that evening. 

10, 868 HUF=38.6040 Euro. Not bad for a feast for four!

I’d love to sit here and spew out all of the interesting facts I learned about Budapest on my walking tour, or post pictures of the cool paintings I saw at the museum we visited, but I must stick with honesty, as it truly is the best policy: I was there for the Turkish baths. Dreams of twenty euro massages filled my head, and when we finally made it to the Turkish baths (a mere few hours before our bus departed back to Vienna...yes, that’s foreshadowing trouble), I went hard. I have gotten a few massages in my life, all overpriced, nestled in fancy spas and hotels, and all completely worth it. I don’t want to say that the baths were a total disappointment, but I will say that they were not entirely what I expected.

The accommodations reminded me of my local YMCA, with cheap lockers and presumably dirty tile floors. Another aspect reminiscent of the YMCA was the clientele– old people! And they had no shame. I ran into some older folk who’s bathing suits were more revealing than my own. Honestly, I found it very refreshing and wasn’t “grossed out” in the least. I liked feeling comfortable, as most of my bathing suit experiences back in the states include me being surrounded by blonde, tan, thin girls, and here at the Turkish baths, I didn’t feel like I had to skip a meal or lay out in the sun for hours to fit in (which wouldn't have worked anyway, as I don't tan, I burn). 

After a somewhat creepy massage, it was already time to return to good ol’ Osterreich. After barely making our bus (there's that foreshadowed trouble), I reflected upon my decisions in traveling. I learned a lot about how to properly tour cities: stick with my usual method, which is walking a lot and checking out the museums. While the baths were an excellent cultural experience, I definitely wish I would have thought more about seeing the actual city instead of just the inside of a bath house. 

Another great cultural experience: KFC in Budapest

No comments:

Post a Comment